Marble is a stunning natural material that not only looks beautiful but is also very hardwearing. Marble tiles are both decorative and practical and can really bring something special to your home spaces.
What is Marble?
Marble is one of the most beautiful and sought after natural stones. This metamorphic rock is formed from re-crystallized limestone that has been heated and subjected to immense pressure over thousands of years. This creates a beautiful stone with characteristic ‘veining’ patterns and a variety of different colours created by the presence of various minerals during the re-crystallisation process.
This natural material has been used to decorate homes, hotels, public buildings, palaces, churches and other buildings all around the world.
Using Marble Tiles
Marble tilesare ideal for using in flooring and walling. It is important though to choose the right type of marble for the surface you are covering. For example polished marble has a stunning finish but it can get very slippery when wet. This means polished marble tiles are more appropriate for tiling walls rather than floors particularly in bathroom spaces.
· As marble is a natural material the colour, pattern and finish will vary from tile to tile.
· If you are trying to create a more uniformed finish then it is important to buy tiles from the same batch.
· Make sure you estimate the surface area you need to cover carefully and buy the tiles you need all in one go as if you need to buy tiles at a later date you may not be able to get such a good match.
· It is a good idea to use a professional installer for your marble tiles. These tiles can be expensive and difficult to work with so it is important to get it right first time.
· A professional will have the tools, skills and experience to ensure your marble tiles are installed and finished properly so that they look good and last a long time.
· Polishedmarble tiles can be vulnerable to acid so you should avoid using them around areas where you would commonly use acidic cleaners such as sinks or toilets.
· In these areas you could use ‘tumbled marble’ as an alternative as this is not so vulnerable to acid.
Marble tiles are one of the most beautiful home interior products to work with. Marble has a unique, instantly recognisable finish that has been widely sought after for centuries for its beauty and elegance.