There is plenty of pet food available for animal owners to buy these days. Regardless of the breed and age of their creatures, people should not struggle to find suitable products.
However, it seems as though some dogs are taking matters into their own hands and sourcing unusual snacks, sometimes with disastrous consequences.
Many of the dog owners recently polled by Bayer Animal Health noted that their animals have eaten things they should not have. Of the 2,000 people it surveyed, nearly three-quarters reported such activity.
Among the items consumed by over-enthusiastic pets were mobile phones, human dentures and underwear, while two-year-old Labrador Indie was said to have required surgery twice after eating a toy car and then a rubber duck.
Other inadvisable snacks included slippers, electrical wires and remote controls.
Meanwhile, 68 per cent of the owners questioned revealed they were concerned that their dogs might get ill as a result of eating something dangerous.
The research was carried out as part of a Be Lungworm Aware campaign that is aiming to inform more pet owners about this potentially fatal parasite. Experts note that common garden slugs and snails can carry the disease.
Commenting on this issue, veterinary surgeon and TV star Luke Gamble said: “The spread of lungworm is something that the public, as well as vets, need to take notice of. We know that dogs eat a lot of things they shouldn’t and most of the time it’s harmless.
“However if you suspect your dog is eating slugs and snails it’s really important that you speak to a vet and ensure your dog is protected from a parasite that can be carried by slugs and snails.”
Monitoring dogs’ diets is a crucial part of pet care. If owners fail to provide the right food and do not stop their creatures from eating potentially dangerous items, the animals can suffer serious ill-effects.